Visitor arrivals by air increase by 31% over February 2016, but decreased by (-37%) over the previous month. The decrease was reflected by the fall in number of visitors who arrived for holidays.
• International visitor’s arrival by air made up 23% of total visitors to Vanuatu in February 2017.
• Visitor arrivals by air stood at 5,610, an increase of 31% over February 2016, but decreased by (-37%) over the previous month. The decrease was reflected by the fall in number of visitors who arrived for holidays.
• In February 2017, 15% or 1 in 6 visitors by air also travelled to outer islands.
• Cruise ship or day visitors made up 77% or 18,628 of total international visitors to Vanuatu in February 2017, showing a decrease of (-42%) over the same month in 2016 and (-41%) over the previous month. The decline in day visitors was attributable to a decrease in the number of cruise in February 2017.
PURPOSE OF VISIT FOR VISITORS ARRIVING BY AIR
• Visitors arriving by air for holiday accounted for 66%; while for educations and sports at 12%; business, meeting and conference at 11%; visiting friends and relatives at 9%; and visitors on transit at 2%.
COUNTRY OF USUAL RESIDENCE FOR VISITORS ARRIVING BY AIR
• Australian visitors continued to make up the highest number of visitors arriving by air at 41%, followed by New Caledonians visitors at 19%, other pacific countries at 11%, Europeans at 9%, New Zealanders at 6%, Chinese visitors at 5%, North Americans at 4%, other countries at 3% and Japanese visitors at 1%.
AVERAGE INTENDED LENGTH OF STAY FOR VISITORS ARRIVING BY AIR
• In February 2017, international visitor’s arrivals spent an average of 14 days. It increased by 3 days over February 2016 and by 2 days over the previous month.
AVERAGE AGE FOR VISITORS ARRIVING BY AIR
• The average age of visitors was 43 years in February 2017. The visitor’s average age increased by 2 years over February 2017 and by 6 years over the previous month.
SUMMARY OF VISITORS TO OUTER ISLANDS
The visitors to outer islands in February 2017 are highlighted on Annex 1 and Annex 2 attached (page5 and page6).
All International arrival statistics by air provided in the report is sourced from completed Arrival and Departure cards at the Department of Immigration. Cruise ship figures are also sourced from the Department of Immigration.
NEXT UPDATE (MONTHLY) RELEASE DATE
March 2017 31st May 2017
PROVINCIAL STATISTICS OFFICES
PO Box 273 Luganville, Santo SANMA PROVINCE
PO Box 22 Lakatoro, Malekula MALAMPA PROVINCE
You can also download the document, Click Download PDF
(Source: TAM TAM Vanuatu Tourism Newsletter 24 May 2017 Issue)